Sunday, September 21, 2008

International Peace Day

(Please scroll down for One Single Impression)

Alas, I'm ashamed to say that this year I forgot about International Peace Day, so this reminder halfway through the day is perhaps a bit pointless. Still, it's not too late to stop and think about the possibilities for peace, to remind ourselves that it IS possible. I happen to believe in the power of belief and the power of human consciousness to alter the course of events.




Maybe it's quibbling with words

But I want to be less opposed to war
And more passionately desirous of peace
I want to be less angry at violence
And more joyfully grateful for acts of love
I want to bless goodness when I see it
Praise generosity
I want to be conscious of every blessing
I want to remember that while light can sometimes be dimmed
It continues to be light
And that although it sometimes seems overwhelming
Darkness can always be lit up
I want to be for peace
To nurture and bless it's every instance
So that when I leave this earth
Generations to come
Will know things like war only as myth
That's my wish, my hope, my prayer
I think it's possible
Not easy
But possible
So starting with my own heart
I extend to yours
My prayer for a better, gentler world
Peace be with you... and with us all

Happy Peace Day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed getting set up for it too! It's a nice badge, isn't it. Reminds me of the old 1960s bumper sticker - Wage Peace!

storyteller said...

Wonderful poem! I join my prayers with yours this afternoon. Much like you, I came upon this remembrance belatedly ... added an 'addendum' to my post at Sacred Ruminations figuring better late than never.
Hugs and blessings,

Carletta said...

I can remember wanting peace way back in high school - through Kent State, Vietnam, I wore peace symbols on my clothes and jewelry. My daughter got one on her high school class ring. It is a dream worth pursuing.
Wonderful words and thoughts Raven.

JP/deb said...

I love this poem that represents gratitude and peace. xx, JP/deb

Quiet Paths said...

I think it's possible too; one of the few - peace be with you.