Monday, April 21, 2008

The Alphabet Backwards: S is for Spring

Well, it's the Monday, Alphabet Backwards day, day of dread most weeks, but apparently my psyche has decided to cut me some slack this week and we are thinking of happy uncomplicated words. In fact I think I'm going to keep it simple and just pick one happy, angst free word today. Spring.

Spring has sprung here in Hancock. The robins are running around, there are flickers and woodpeckers and sparrows. There are daffodils and forsythia. The trees are not in blossom yet, by and large, but you can see the leaves and flowers coming. And it's greener. The grass has taken on life again. My spirit has breathed a sigh of relief and joy. Angel is happy too. We've had a few days warm enough for open windows and her world has expanded with smells that I'm sure are beyond my nose's puny capacity to interpret or even notice. Angel kitty may still be inside, but she is one step closer to her life dream. She is a happy kitty and that makes me a happy human. Tara could care less. She has done outdoors. She has no desire to do it again.

I love the layers of color that are part of Spring and that everything seems sort of surprising even though we are expecting it and watching for it. Spring is soft, somehow. Dramatic and subtle at the same time.

Then there are the sounds of Spring too. Right now, even though I can't see it - darn - I can hear a cardinal singing in the distance... while other, less melodic birds chirp an accompanying chorus.



I think that's all I have to say today. I'll keep it short and add some photos and a "Spring poem."



SPRING

Sweet, soft, subtle
There's renewal just in watching
The hidden depths of trees
Slip quietly from their winter shells
The green grass rising like a gentle tide
Daffodils and croci surfacing for air
While winged and furred and crawly things
Celebrate
A living painting
Evolving to perfection





And that's the letter S. Happy Monday.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I love your letter S :)

Siren always enjoys the open window. Not sure about Mia yet, it's too soon in our relationship.

Beautiful photos and a sweet spring poem.

Raven said...

Hi Dianne - Thanks... I hope Mia and Siren both get to enjoy the windows. Tara is actually making a fibber out of me at the moment and looking out the window. I just decided to take a stab at Project Looking Through. Angel got all the glory this time.