Monday, August 31, 2009

It Has Begun



Well, exciting day here in Hancock.

I got up at 7 am (very early for me) to await the arrival of the contractors. They were about an hour late but they are here now working.

The kitchen designer came to remeasure with the contractor and make sure the new refrigerator from Nate and Dan would fit with the design as planned. It does. He brought me sampled for the countertop and I chose one. How funny is this... it's called Raven's Gemstone. Too cool. I picked a paint color for the walls too and will probably use the same one in the bathroom if they paint that (which they might not do).

The Company is Wilsonart Home. The photos on their site don't much look like the actual thing. I took one of my own of the sample and downloaded a photo with the Tibetan Sky (cool name isn't it?) paint color.




Meanwhile there are two nice young men digging and pounding outside my front door. They will do the frame, I guess and lay cement and then leave it all to set all day tomorrow. I was going to try and take pictures of the progress and "men at work," but it's too awkward to do that and I don't have their permission and am shy to ask, so...

Wednesday, they'll come and finish up. Yippee! Next Tuesday, they will start the bathroom. Kitchen cabinets take three weeks to be made so the work in the kitchen is probably 3-4 weeks off. Work in the bathroom will take 4-5 days. I'm going to have two very unhappy kitties but they are going to have one very happy human.


Yippee! Hope your day is as good as mine!

10 comments:

Melli said...

Ohhhhh CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm sO excited for you!!! I can not WAIT to see all these changes taking place! :)

Akelamalu said...

Oh how exciting for you! I remember the excitement when I had my new kitchen fitted. :)

I can't wait to see the photos when it's all finished. :)

DawnTreader said...

Congratulations! And I just love that Raven's gemstone, it looks wonderful!

Carletta said...

YEAH - good news!
I love that countertop color and the paint to match. That blue is so soothing.
The name choices are a sign I tell you - a good sign!!

Sandi McBride said...

I'm so happy for you...I love projects like this and the beginning is always as exciting as the completion!
Sandi

gabrielle said...

Oh I am so happy for you! And the names are so perfect. Raven’s gemstone under a cool Tibetan sky.
What an auspicious beginning!!! I look forward to following the progress.
Hugs to you, Angel and Tara Grace.

Quilly said...

How exciting! Not only do I think the name of your new counter top perfect, I think it looks great, too! AND I hope they do paint the bathroom for you.

And -- believe me I hate doing things like this so I know how you feel -- you might try an approachable moment when you're talking to one of the guys by keeping your camera at hand so you can casually point to it and ask, do you mind if I document this? Chances are he'll be very polite even if he turns you down -- and he probably won't turn you down. most people like being stars!

Janie B said...

How wonderful and exciting for you! Hope the renovation turns out beautifully for you. Keep us informed, so we can be jealous!

Finding Pam said...

You are going to enjoy your new kitchen. It will fun to see the progress. I am happy for you.

SouthLakesMom said...

Happy for you! I agree with Quilly -- most people like it that someone appreciates their hard work enough to photograph them doing it. You can always try the old, "I want to show your boss how hard you work even when he's not watching!" ploy....