Monday, September 05, 2011

Daily Reminder # 454

Since it's Labor Day here in the US, I thought maybe it would be a good day to remember the gift Labor Unions have been and still are to the people of this country.  I got an email this morning with a link to this collection of reminders of what unions do for us.  The following videos are long  (15 min. each), and a little hoaky/antique, but I thought they were well done. Too many of us forget  how far workers have come - and that puts us in danger of sliding back into the dark days of yore. The same people who are trying to break the unions are also trying to eliminate the minimum wage, to end things like OSHA and the EPA, to free business from any regulation and to defang the new Consumer Protection Agency. That is not a coincidence. And it is only aimed at helping the "economy" of those who don't need help at the expense of the increasing mass of the poor in this country.   Oh... and this is a GREAT (I liked it anyway) movie about the labor movement in Great Britain; it's called Made in Dagenham.














Some things I'm grateful for today: (Items in red are pre-gratitude, an attempt to inspire and encourage the Creative Forces of the Universe and my own Higher Self to manifest ABUNDANCE and a few practical necessities.)

  • Angel and Tara Grace
  • Coffee and Int'l delight
  • granola bars
  • labor unions
  • America (even flawed and struggling)
  • music
  • ear phones
  • the joy of singing
  • history lessons
  • coconut oil
  • my house
  • my back yard
  • the green of summer
  • the colors of the rainbow
  • fans
  • my Tibetan salt lamps
  • my rock collection
  • electricity
  • my kitchen
  • my microwave
  • my bathroom
  • indoor plumbing
  • Dr. Bronner soaps
  • my camera
  • my computer
  • the internet
  • email
  • computer games
  • worker's rights (listening to the videos as I do my list)
  • toy mice
  • purring cats
  • Sam-e
  • Omega-3
  • IP-6
  • Vitamin D-3
  • resilience
  • determination
  • my chair/walker
  • my cane
  • that my legs still wobble me around with help
  • a clothes dryer
  • new curtains
  • blinds for the front window
  • more flowers in the back yard
  • freshly painted living and bedroom walls
  • a reading and healing from my friend Nancy
  • a truckload of money (big bills)
  • a ceiling fan in the bedroom
  • winning lottery numbers
  • $5,000/week for life from PCH
  • Nintendo
  • paid off mortgage
  • zero balance on my credit cards
  • a sun room on the back of the house
  • seeing the red list turn to black
  • reiki
  • angels
  • miracles
  • Advil
  • peanuts
  • the view from my front window
  • my nieces, my nephew and their families
  • that they are happy, healthy and successful
  • my friends
  • SKYPE
  • AIM
  • Google
  • You Tube
  • my mattress
  • poetry
  • folk songs
  • literature
  • ideas
  • words
  • inspiration
  • imagination
  • goodness and generosity
  • my SSD
  • food stamps
  • turkey vultures in flight
  • sleeping kitties
  • sight
  • hearing
  • taste
  • touch
  • smell
  • progress
  • Progressive Democrats (flawed as they are)
  • the right to vote
  • Netflix
  • the ability to read and write
  • the ability to type
  • the capacity to think
  • the capacity to change
  • resilience
  • determination
  • stubbornness
  • humor
  • laughter
  • passion
  • compassion
  • love
  • life
And one of the most beautiful Union Songs there is:



HAPPY LABOR DAY 
(or regular day outside the US)
MAY ALL YOUR LABOR 
BE JOYFUL AND BLESSED

No comments: