Friday, January 21, 2011

Daily Reminder # 235

I don't know if I like this photo or not. I was just struck
by the layers of frozen-ness. We are expecting more
snow tonight and tomorrow. Sigh. 


Well, I'm going with my good buddy Neale Donald Walsh again this evening. This one is a few says old but is something that resonates with me. One of my favorite therapy stories is when Dr. Jim and I were talking about perfectionism and I announced to him (without a glimmer of awareness): "I can't be a perfectionist. I never do anything right." He practically fell of his chair laughing and the light dawned in my somewhat dim brain.  Perfectionism really is a terribly destructive illness. (My perfectionist and I, by the way, are really upset by tonight's photos. We think they suck (except the one of Angel... can't go wrong with Angel), but I didn't want to post more tree branches. My perfectionist has strong feelings about posting the same stupid tree over and over too. She's a real witch. But anyway, here's what Neale says God wants us to know...


On this day of your life, dear friend, 
I believe God wants you to know...
...that perfectionism is the enemy of creation.
John Updike said that, and he was right. He understood
that nothing stops the forward march of any creative
endeavor like the need to do it absolutely perfectly.
And who is to judge what is 'perfect' anyway? What I
have judged full of flaws so many others have called
terrificMaybe the definition of Perfection is something
that actually gets done. 
Love, Your Friend....

neale




Some things I'm grateful for today: (items in red are pre-gratitude which will hopefully encourage the Universe to manifest cool stuff into my life.)

  • Angel and Tara Grace
  • reiki
  • angels
  • my friends
  • Aveyond
  • my Bose sound system
  • winning lottery tickets
  • a clothes dryer
  • a million dollars a year for life from Publisher's Clearinghouse
  • winning the HGTV Vermont Dream House
  • zero balance on my credit cards
  • paid off mortgage
  • new paint job in my living and bedrooms
  • my new camera
  • reiki bears
  • Schwans
  • Margaret
  • indoor plumbing
  • kind neighbors
  • Netflix
  • mail
  • music
  • wordzzles
  • poetry
  • email
  • Greater Good.com
  • beauty
  • my 5 (6?) senses
  • my cane
  • my red chair
  • laughter
  • possibilities
  • Dennis Puffett
  • the internet
  • the telephone
  • electricity
  • heat
  • life

Another thing I'm grateful for is kind neighbors who shovel my
snow with no request for anything in return - even thanks. It makes
a world of difference in my ability to survive and it makes me feel more safe
in the world.

I WISH YOU A PERFECTLY IMPERFECT DAY!

2 comments:

Argent said...

I think your inner perfectionist's cousin lives with me and I very much agree that it is stress-inducing and destructive. Cold here but not snowy, thank goodness.

Felisol said...

Dear Raven,
I enjoy reading your gratitude list.
I wish you had a tumble dryer and am sending the wish to God.
I don't care if you win in the lottery too, it would be nice actually.
What I wish for you most of all is peace and health.
I am also grateful for your kind neighbors.
My mother also have a nice neighbor who comes and shovels snow, without her having to ask.
Without him she would have been lost and terribly scared.

Can you imagine Miss Kitty came to us the day after I had written, "if we shall have a cat once again, God will have to send one to us." How can we other than treat her nicely? She is a true angel and a free spirit.

My inner perfectionist have been killed long, long time ago.
Now I cannot even read through what I have written. If I start doing so, I'll never get anything published.

I had a relapse last summer when I wrote about Ulysses.
I have no intention trying do something similar in the near future.
It was exhausting.
My mother has taught me to like imperfection. "That only shows things are selfmade", she says, be it embroidery, painting or writing.
I like that, even if I think she always does nicer work than I do.
It isn't about being best, it is about leaving ones own fingerprint and take pride in that.
Have a nice week end,
From Felisol