Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Inkspot Society


About eight months ago, I guess, my kitty Tara Grace had a serious brush with death. Since I'm homebound, there was an extra level of angst to the crisis. Lucky for me, there's a vet's office about 2 minutes (probably not even) from me. I called them and asked if they ever made house calls. They don't, but their receptionist, a very kind young man, heard my panic and asked them if they'd mind if he walked up the hill and got her and brought her down. They agreed. Dan came, carrier and all and carried my frail little baby down the hill. With antibiotics she rallied but that was just the beginning of a month of health adventures for Tara (she is GREAT now) . It was also the beginning of a wonderful friendship and the planting of the seed for The Inkspot Society. Right now there are 5 of us (all wonderful people brought into my life by Dan's big heart) who meet every other Sunday (in about 2 hours, in fact t0day), and share our own writing or word of others that have touched us. We have a homework assignment each time. Sometimes it's a words exercise, sometimes we take a picture and all have to write a paragraph inspired by it. It's fun and it has given my creative juices something to salivate over.

The Inkspot Society has been more than just a creative gift, though. Dan, Nate, Sue and Mary are kind and loving people. My life, which had been very lonely before is now as rich as a life lived inside the small space of 4 rooms can be. For Christmas, the Inkspot gang gave me a house cleaning party. We had a good time. The stopped up drain in my bathroom sink was miraculously fixed, my shelves were dusted. All the things that are very difficult because of my health were done with laughter and fun. Nate cleared all the gunk out of my computer, fixed my DVD drive so I can watch movies here and generally made it work much better. Then we all had a gala meal. On Thanksgiving, even though I was perfectly fine, they came over with plates full of wonderful food from their Thanksgiving meal. They came for New Year's Eve and we did a wonderful "letting go of the old" ritual, shared a meal and watched a movie.

Nate, Dan, Sue and Mary are a miraculous gift in my life. They have enriched it in ways I can't begin to express. I am grateful for the chance to spend time with people who love writing, but even more than that, I am grateful that God has brought so much love and goodness into my little world.

3 comments:

Linda Murphy said...

What a great story and how amazing to be among friends with common interests-and be able to share what is closest at heart. Inkspot Society sounds like perfect karma.

Dianne said...

that's a lovely story Raven and clearly a wonderful group of people. you're all lucky to have each other.

perfect karma says it best :)

Raven said...

snoopmurph, dianne - the Inkspot Society really is a wonderful group of people. I think maybe we all knew each other in previous life-times. Whatever, they have enriched my life a thousand-fold.