Saturday, November 15, 2008

Gratitude, Day 15

just hanging around
(couldn't resist)

It's a rainy Saturday here, but warm. My furnace hasn't rumbled into action once. Always grateful when I don't feel that gas bill rising. I'm also really grateful to live in a house heated with natural gas. Never need to worry about the tank (is that what they call it?) running low or all those things that go with propane and heating oil. Natural gas just keeps coming, no muss, no fuss and I don't have to monitor anything, just pay the bill when it comes. A nice man came by last Spring some time to do some kind of testing. He said they check ever twenty-five (25!) years or so to make sure the pressure is ok. That seemed to me like a bit of a long time between checks, but the house hasn't blown up so I guess they know what they are doing.

Today I'm also grateful that the lady from the school library is coming to pick up the second batch of books. I think I may have overstated how many there are, but she'll get three or four boxes at least. Maybe more. When she's here, I'll look through the shelves again and see if there's anything to add to what I've got set aside already. She told me that the first six boxes have been distributed between two school libraries in Hancock and the Public Library. Makes me feel good that they will be enjoyed by people and not just collect dust on my shelves any more.

My nephew is coming again tomorrow. I'm so happy I'm getting to spend some time with him after such a long spell of not seeing him. Feels wonderful. And he's coming a bit later in the morning so I don't have to worry about over sleeping. Life is good.

And I'm grateful that I have a nice collection of wordzzles to blog hop to and read after I post this. I'm always awed at how creative everyone is. I'm always grateful that no matter how blank my mind is when I start out, I manage to squeeze three exercises out of it every week.

Oh... and I'm grateful that Shannon's Dad (next door neighbor), who knows I like to take pictures out the back door put some bread crumbs and french fries by the stump in the middle of my yard yesterday. The squirrels had a great feast and I had a picture party. It was funny (and a little sad) to watch them burying half of their bounty. If this were a magic world (well it is, but not that kind), I'd have a yard full of french fry trees come Spring. Alas, it was a gray day and my windows need cleaning again so they are not the best quality photos, but the squirrels are cute enough that it doesn't matter.

planting french fry trees


feasting


That's it for today. Happy Saturday.

11 comments:

Jeff B said...

Hey, if you find any seeds for those French fry trees, please send a couple my way! Sounds like you're having a good day. Glad to hear that.

Dianne said...

I love your squirrels!!

Would you have any seeds for a pasta tree?

Linda Murphy said...

Those squirrels are enjoying their feast. The boys will also take some of those french fry seeds.

Enjoy your visit with Matt tomorrow! So glad he is returning.

Melli said...

The squirrel pictures are ADORABLE! And do ya know what's even BETTER than having natural gas? OWNING it! My BIL had a natural gas well(? is that what they call them? well? line?) whatever! Anyway - he had one on his property and they PAID HIM for use of HIS gas - as well as supplying it to his house free of charge. Some people are sO blessed! (not that I'm not... but not THAT way!)

peppylady (Dora) said...

You been tagged.

Anndi said...

I enjoy squirrels, they're quite entertaining. And I agree that a house not blowing up is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Oh, French Fry trees would be a really bad idea for my rear end -- if you know what I mean. I like coming here and reading your gratitude posts.

Anonymous said...

Cute squirrels! I watch them faithfully bury shelled peanuts from the bird seed mix every year, and they never dig them up. Seems like a labor lost, but fun to watch.

bettygram said...

The squirrels are so cute and the pictures are great, I don't get to see them close anymore because of the dog who also likes them but not in the same way.

Carletta said...

French Fry Trees - super concept! That made me smile.
Have a wonderful visit with your nephew.

Dr.John said...

Great pictures through a dirty window.
How wonderful that you are finding so many things to be thankful for even in a world with no french fry trees.