Sunday, November 16, 2008

Gratitude, Day 16



Well, I didn't want to get up as early as I did and as usual, it turns out that I could have stayed in bed a bit longer, but there is still much to be grateful for today.

First, my nephew is still coming. The predicted awful weather hasn't arrived. Of course he's going to be about two or three hours later than I expected. He is his mother's son. I have just enough of my mother in me that I'm surprised. My punishment, I guess, for the fact that I always found it very amusing that she never accepted the fact that my sister never got anywhere on time.

My family - my mother in particular - operated on what I call The Basic Worry System. It's an uncomplicated process. You worry about everything. I always give them random numbers for fun. Using today as an example: Basic worry #885, "you will oversleep or won't get up on time. Basic worry #355... he will be early. (???!!HAH! - but it's on the list anyway... even though the chance of that happening is...well, remote...) This is rapidly followed by Basic worry #600... He will be late.... and basic worry #3000: He won't come at all. Immediately followed by basic worry #40 - the weather is going to be bad and it's unsafe for him to come. Then there are more mundane basic worries like the coffee will stink and the house will make him sneeze and....

So anyway, I just finished messaging with Matt. He's in Hartford. He expects to get here in 2-3 hours which probably means 3-4. I'm grateful that I have a sense of humor and enough self-awareness to counteract the basic worry system with a willingness to just let he day unfold on its own terms.

Another gratitude for today is that Nate and Dan have apparently found a free microwave (they've tested it and know it works) for me and are planning to bring it over at some point. Of course the basic worry system kicks in here too on two fronts. First, will my expected visits intersect? Will they like each other? Alternate basic worry. Will I kill myself or the cats using the microwave? Where will I put it? Will I be able to figure out how to use it.... will there be space for it.... agggghhhhhh! As you can guess, it's not entirely easy being me. I used to have a wonderful poster of a funny looking penguin hanging in my kitchen that said that. It made me laugh. I'm grateful for Instant Messages so that I the basic worry system gets mitigated by communication.

I'm also grateful that the library lady came yesterday and took another 5 boxes of books. Now I need to get myself going and reorganize the shelves. They are not as empty as I thought they'd be.

But what I'm most grateful for today is another visit with my nephew. And right in this instant, I'm grateful that coffee is perked and I can go make myself some breakfast before my guest arrives whenever he gets here. Maybe I'll even get an inspiration for OSI now that I have a little extra time.... maybe....


Have a great day!

13 comments:

Dianne said...

lovely sweet blue bird

enjoy the visit, don't worry ;)

Raven said...

hi dianne - hope you got your project finished yesterday. I worry therefore I am. Fortunately, by and large, these days I don't take my worrying too seriously.

Finding Pam said...

Raven, I am thankful for your great attitude and your post. Love the bluebird. :)

Have a wonderful visit with your nephew.

Lulda Casadaga said...

Hi...I started the wordzzle challenge..just wanted to thank you for the chance to play.

I love your pics, especially the blue jay. I finally saw a few in my neighborhood after 8yrs living here. I feed the birds and just love watching them while I do dishes. Enjoy your visit with your nephew! :)

Carletta said...

Your basic worry system sounds like me - will I get the dishes washed before the doorbell rings, etc... There's always a little worry nagging in my mind somewhere; especially when company is coming.
The angel of your photo makes this Blue Jay look like he has a long white beard. Makes him look old. :)

Travis Cody said...

Basic worry #2473 - you're going to worry no matter what, so don't worry about it!

HA!

Raven said...

pam - thanks... still waiting for my nephew to arrive. Just sat at the keyboard he gave me and passed some time. It's so nice to have it.

lulda - I love blue jays. I know they are scrappy and all that, but they have so much personality. Glad you have joined in the wordzzle challenge.

carletta - I worry about such insane things so much of the time. I spend a lot of time worrying that people will be mad at me about even very trivial things or things that they may think are true or... My niece Diana gave me a sign that says "worry is the misuse of your imagination." It hang by my desk... and I worry that I haven't learned that lesson. Interesting comment about the blue jay... now that you've pointed it out, I see it.

travis - you have grasped the system perfectly.

Richard said...

I have used the "basic worry system" myself. I had to let it go. It was just too much work and too much stress.

Rich

Anonymous said...

Raven -- you must be related to OC. If there is something to be worried about, he will worry!

Raven said...

richard - I am greatly improved in my ability to let go of worry, but I think the habit is too old and sort of in my bones. I admire you for being able to let it go.

quilly - alas, I think too many of us are raised to worry. Maybe using the initials OC (obsessive compulsive) is not such a good idea for a worrier.

to all - my visit with my nephew was very nice. He had a 6 hour drive ahead of him so it wasn't overly long, but it was good to catch up in person and not by computer or phone.

Quiet Paths said...

This post brought several smiles on here. Basic Worry System: why does this sound SO familiar? I will have to query my Mom: is this your advanced operating platform?

You'll love the microwave. Just remember no metal and no melty plastic. You'll be fine. Enjoy your visits.

Linda Murphy said...

I had to chuckle that this is the same family that Cindy comes from-she is very punctual, which I admire about her because I have struggled with punctuality for my entire life.

I think worry is normal for most all of us. I think it's good to acknowledge it, sit with it for a moment and let it go, so you can go about your day. Easier said than done. I hope you and Matt have a terrific visit together.

Anonymous said...

Worry is interest paid in advance. I often think about this while I am worrying.