Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Obama Speaks to the Muslim World


I'm still trying to catch up from two memes and two days away from the computer over the weekend, but I thought this was worth sharing for anyone who hasn't seen it. What a joy to have someone truly working towards peace and recognizing that while violence may sometimes be required (I guess), as a rule, violence breeds more violence, not less. I'm not deluded into thinking that problems as old and entrenched as these will be solved over night or even over years, still there is something so powerful about listening to both sides. I know for me personally, sometimes being listened to has been the most powerful healing agent there is... and not being listened to has just made me want to shout louder and louder.





6 comments:

Finding Pam said...

Raven, you have been very since your return to cyber space. I am trying to catch up reading since our move. I unpack a little, then read blogs alot!

As usual, you are the master of Wordzzle! I loved them all, but especially the vanity word challenge. It just touched me.

Also, I don't know how you captured so many wonderful photos, but they were awsome.

Take care, stay warm and keep writing.

Travis Cody said...

Listen, withhold judgement or action or condemnation until as many facts as possible can be gathered, listen some more, and then find equitable solutions for all parties without strong arming or dictating.

Sounds like a mature leader to me, although some have called this approach naive.

Raven said...

Pam - glad you are safely moved in and reconnected to the internet (first priority). I sent you some reiki about 20 minutes ago.

Travis - I agree. It is such a joy to hear someone who isn't just spewing rhetoric and who is willing to throw away the fear-mongering approach to life. I have CNN on at the moment. Fear mongering is such a habit in this country. They are spewing panic about the employment situation. Not that there isn't reason for people to be anxious, but Obama is 8 days in office and looking to create jobs even as jobs are being lost. I don't get why we are so often simply bent on negativity. I think that another gift of the Obama administration will be to shift that. I hope.

Dr.John said...

I am very impressed by Obama.

Dianne said...

I love to listen to him. I learn something every time.

San said...

You're right, Raven. Being listened to is such a gift. How inspiring to have a leader who listens.