Friday, August 06, 2010

Daily Reminder # 68



The weather here was awful today. Really hot and humid and disgusting. So... I'm stealing today.... going to share Neal Donald Walsh's "I Believe God Wants You to Know" email from yesterday because I have nothing inspired of my own and I thought it was a really good one.


Before I do that, though, I have to share my disappointment about today's photos. I came to the back door late to find the a fair collection of birds flitting around behaving kind of oddly. I don't want to spread rumors, but I think they might have been a bit tipsy. Unfortunately, I had a really hard time getting the camera to focus right and only discovered when the light was almost gone that the little knob had gotten moved to the wrong setting. So the birds were being all weird and cute and my pictures suck. The blue jays were kind of hopping up in the air and hanging out together. There was a young cardinal who (no pictures unfortunately) who kept not quite getting off the ground.


Most interesting was the wood pecker who kept flying back and forth between two big trees in this kind of loopy flight pattern. Maybe that's standard, but I've never seen it before. Unfortunately my pictures aren't very good and don't really capture the whole fascinating scene, but... birds make much more interesting drunks than humans do. I'm just guessing they were drunk, but it has been so hot and the berries are aging. I suspect some have fermented.


OK... here's the words of wisdom I borrowed from Neal Donald Walsh and God:

On this day of your life, dear friend, I believe God wants you to know...

..that moaning and groaning about things changes nothing,

and never does anyone any good.


If you don't want to do anything to change it, stop

complaining about it. If you can't do anything to change

it no matter how much you want to, then accept it for now

and simply resolve to create a different tomorrow -- but

don't let today be ruined while you are waiting.

Does that make any sense? It does to me.




I have to admit that this is not the easiest advice for me to follow. I struggle against a deep commitment to whining and self pity. Complaining can be sort of entertaining in a perverse sort of way. My daily gratitude and the Thank You for Everything mantra are both good tools that help move me away from the woe is me place. Some days it's easier than others, though. Fears about money is where I kind of get mired in the swamp. I'm getting mired in it right now as I write this - just thinking about it - so I think I'll just stop and sign off until tomorrow reminding myself that I may not have enough to knock my debts out but I have enough to pay my bills this month. That's more than a lot of people can say.



Some things I'm grateful for today:

  • witch hazel
  • computer games
  • movies
  • coffee
  • my cats
  • tipsy birds
  • my camera
  • money to pay my bills



HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!

3 comments:

izzy said...

Yup, I've seen drunk horses- so why not birds !
I am grateful to the program concept
of letting go, which I remind myself
( "hold nothing-") especially resentments
and judgments.... And yes gratitude!

Carletta said...

I loved your humorous thoughts on the tipsy birds. :)
And, your photos aren't as bad as you think they are.
Loved 'What God Wants You to Know' - not always easy perhaps but keeping these thoughts in mind might make one's day go easier.
Hope you have a good day today.

Janie B said...

I love watching birds, too. They can be so amusing. I get that "what God wants you to know" on Facebook. It is often very inspirational. Have a good day!