Friday, August 13, 2010

Daily Reminder # 75


Laughter is good. It's truly healing - at least for me. I think many of us who grew up in abusive situations survived by laughter, by seeing the funny side of even the most awful things... or sometimes simply by laughing at/through our pain. I don't know that this was always the smartest thing. It's something I worked on in therapy. I'd laugh through/about my emotional pain in order to avoid feeling it, something that might have helped me in my childhood but was a habit worth breaking. Better to laugh than to cry isn't always the truth. One of my favorite lines that I ever wrote is that "our tears quench the thirst of God." I do think tears are holy. But I also thing laughter is holy.

It always troubles me that we tend to portray Jesus a sort of humorless wimpy depressive who goes around saying wise things. I'm guessing that he was more like the laughing Buddah - full of the joy and soul and spirit of life. Able to cry and laugh and be angry do all those things with love in his heart.

But I'm rambling. The first of these clips is pure genius political satire. The second a good discussion of the power of humor.

It can be a real antidote to poison. I love the Daily Show.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Deductible Me
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party

I thought his was a wonderful conversation. Jon Stewart has many virtues, but his interviewing skills are pretty pathetic. This was really a good interview.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Laura Linney
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party


Some things I'm grateful for today (almost forgot to list these):

  • Laughter
  • a clean house
  • groceries
  • a good book
  • Angel and Tara Grace
  • water
  • good soap
  • rain

May your day be full of joy and laughter!

2 comments:

Carletta said...

When I was in high school my girlfriends (about five of us) and I always laughed. People wondered what we were up too. We just saw humor in the everyday. We may not always have been happy; but laughter helped get us through the day.

The Bug said...

I just watched the two clips. That Jon Stewart is just about one of the funniest & skewering people around. Glad he's on our side!