Thursday, July 08, 2010

Daily Reminder # 42


It's what you focus on that matters. That said, it isn't always as easy as it sounds. Sometimes the pull to focus on things that don't serve our highest good, that darken our Spirit is terribly tempting. Getting my camera to focus on these buds and flowers took as many as 15 or 20 tries, because its impulse (if a camera can have impulses) was to focus on the background stumps and grass.


Sometimes we have to just keep trying in order to move our emotional focus from what's wrong to what's right. That's part of the purpose of daily gratitude. It moves us - even if only for a few minutes - to look at what's good. On days when it's horribly hot and humid and life is dropping bombs on you from one direction or another, it can be a real challenge. I don't always succeed, but I do try to pull myself back, to not deny my depression or whatever, but to at least balance it. I try to make the dark side work for its power over me. I try to let the Light win.





Some things I'm grateful for today:

  • Witch Hazel
  • FANS
  • water, especially COLD water
  • books
  • movies

Angel copes with the heat...

3 comments:

izzy said...

Yes focusing on now can be tough, and tougher in heat! trees with their arms raised to the sky, help remind me to be grateful, as many times a day as possible-

Argent said...

Your daily reminders are helping me to shift my focus from the negative. A good mental hygiene routine is really helpful. You wouldn't keep stale old rubbish in your house, so you should keep it out of your head: outmoded ideas (about yourself and others), regrets and if-onlys (you can't do a single thing about the past, learn and move on).

I'm grateful for:

It's the end of the work day
Sunshine (it's here but not too hot)
My cats

Angel looks gorgeous!

Carletta said...

"let the light win" - I like that!
What a cute image of Angel! :)

I'm grateful today for air-conditioning and cold drinks.