Friday, July 16, 2010

Weekly Wordzzle Challenge, Week 118



It's week 118 of the Weekly Wordzzle Challenge. I wrote very weird things this week. I think the heat here is getting to my brain... and not in a good way. Looking forward to reading what Harold (even if you don't join our game, do go read Argent's Harold story... it's wonderful) others have come up with.


Words for this week's 10-word challenge are: shark, Scotland, gravity, final hours, aggravation, heat wave, sweet tooth, killer, tragic, flowers And for the mini: shade tree, price, disappointment, power, camera



My mega:


Something about the aggravation of being miserable in this heat wave has activated my sweet tooth even worst than usual and I'm like a killer shark ravaging the refrigerator for anything and everything... sweet or not. Max, my new boyfriend, sent me flowers, which normally would have left me swooning and ecstatic, but all I felt was disappointment that it wasn't an air conditioner or a shade tree or something with cooling power. And I mean, Max is this wonderful, kind hunk... my dream man. He's from Scotland and he's got this accent that would make me love him even if he wasn't so handsome that people reach for their cameras when he walks past. (I'm not kidding, they really do!) He's got so much charisma that he counteracts gravity and you feel like you can just float away when he approaches, especially if he says your name with that brogue. Wouldn't you know the universe would play one more tragic joke and introduce me to the man of my dreams now in my final hours just as I'm about to die of heat stroke. An early death... the price I pay for happiness. But at least I did have my glorious moment... and if I live, I got flowers from the most handsome and charming man on earth. I hope I live!




My mini:

My new super duper mega pixel power shot camera was such a disappointment. I should have known that the price was too good to be true and that anything you buy from some guy sitting under a shade tree claiming to be dealing in quality merchandise is probably going to be a rip off. You'd think I would have learned by now, but I really wanted that camera. How was I to know that it didn't have a lens? Oh well, at least it was only $5.



My 10-word:


I met my boyfriend Shark at the hospital during the final hours of his best friend Mike, who was an old friend of mine from my college days. Mike's death was truly tragic and the gravity of the situation in which we met is probably what made it possible for me to by-pass the usual defenses I put up when I run into a guy like Shark and for him to overlook the fact that I wasn't a biker chick and actually have a meaningful conversation with me. To say he's complex is an understatement. Although I highly doubt it, he claims that Shark is his given name. He also claims that he was born in Scotland even though his last name is Johansen, so as you may be able to intuit, knowing Shark is something of an adventure even if you aren't dating him. Dating him has a whole other set of issues. First off, Shark has killer good looks. While this goes a long way to compensating for the many aggravations associated with dating him, it also creates some difficulties even without his personality quirks. Shark's like a walking heat wave. Women swoon when he walks past. Really, they do. And some of them send him flowers and candy because he has made it widely known that he has sweet tooth. He does this on purpose because he says he loves candy and this way he gets it free and he gets to give me flowers without going to a lot of expense. It is kind of nice to have flowers around the house on a regular basis except that I'm torn between enjoying them and wanting to throw them on the floor and stomp on them. Honestly, I don't know why I stay with him. In spite of it all, there's something kind of charming about him. And now he's asked me to marry him. I wonder which of his admirers will pick out my bridal bouquet.



**********


Words for next week's 10-word challenge are: super duper, think first and act later, jump rope, soap opera, delivery, barbeque, jewelery, on sale, justification, figure of speech


And for the mini: plastic, forgotten, make-shift, happy days, infant



Thank you for playing! Newcomers can check here for some guidelines (and they are only guidelines, not rules) to make the process more fun.
Enjoy! See you next week!


Don't forget to add
your name to Mr. Linky!




4 comments:

Argent said...

Ravem these are some of your best ever (maybe the heat is good for your brain after all!). Thanks for the shout-out for Harold as well. You've created real characters and situations here. I laughed in several places - you do gentle humour really well and your writing is always kind and warm. Seriously, I think these three today were terrifically good and I really enjoyed them. I'll be along presently with my offerings.

The Bug said...

I enjoyed all three stories this week, but I want to meet Shark - he sounds like quite a character (although I'm not sure he's good enough for your protagonist).

Argent said...

I'm up at last.

Unknown said...

Oh yes I'd like to meet Shark too. Really stunning Raven.
Oh I'm up too at last