Monday, August 09, 2010

Daily Reminder # 71


Except for the fact that I never got around to taking my shower, today was a pretty nice day. The sun was out, the temperatures were in the 70s and there was a nice breeze. I got phone calls from two friends I was concerned about and hadn't heard from for a while. Did some reading. The back yard offered nothing, despite the beautiful weather, which was really disappointing... I mean it was so quiet you would have thought there was an electrified fence keeping birds out. Hate it wan that happens, especially when the light is good and the sky is blue. But such is life.


I don't have much in the way of thoughts in my had except political ones about racism and how creepy I think Republicans are and that's not really the stuff of inspiration, so.... maybe just a poem today that follows up a little on yesterday's reminder.

I am not in my body
It is filled instead with fear
And voices, many voices
They are angry with me
And I don’t know why
They are angry about that too
“Stupid girl,” they say,
“How could you not know?”
My body is big – very big
It is like a costume I wear
So people won’t see how small I feel
So people won’t see my fear...
Or maybe that’s why
I’m not really sure
It doesn’t work, of course
And now the voices scold about that too
“Stupid, ugly, fat girl,” they say,
Have you no shame?
Ironic they should ask that
Since it seems I am made of shame
Shame and fat and fear and nothing else

Katherine E. Rabenau



Some things I'm grateful for today:

  • phone calls from friends
  • good books
  • cool air
  • beauty
  • teeth
  • taste buds
  • pizza



HAVE A GREAT DAY!

1 comment:

quilly said...

Today I am grateful for sunshine. I always remember to be grateful for it when it is gone.

Today you are grateful for staying up late -- or way early, as the case may be -- you have won Punny Monday!