Sunday, February 20, 2011

Daily Reminder # 265

Sorry about these photos. My windows are in
desperate need of cleaning.

These are truly strange times we are living in. As men and women in much of the Arab world are putting their lives (literally) on the line in pursuit of freedom, half of the US seems to be trying to push us into the Dark ages - redefining the meaning of rape, de-funding things like Public Broadcasting and Planned Parenthood, trying to destroy unions under the guise of "budget balancing." It's exciting and depressing at the same time.  I'm glad teachers in Wisconsin are out there defending collective bargaining. Of course most of the news ignores reports it as though they are protesting budget cuts, not the other part of the proposed plan.  I'm thrilled and frightened for those in the Middle East standing up to dictators. We seem to be in a world-wide push-pull between light and darkness.  I keep thinking of the wonderful song from Les Mis - DO YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE SING. I want everyone to sing it for the whole world.








On another note, I watched a movie this evening called Freakonomics. Really wonderful.  Very interesting ideas on a wide range of subjects. One that struck me given the GOP's onslaught on women - was the idea that when they studied the statistics for why crime when down in the late 1980s, it turns out that there is a profound correlation between that and Roe v. Wade - lots of unwanted children NOT born, not reared up to be unloved, unwanted criminals. Interesting idea and it makes sense to me. But they explain it better than I do. Great movie with very interesting discussions about the impact of names, bribing kids to learn and a variety of other subjects. I highly recommend it.


Guess that's it for tonight.


Some things I'm grateful for today:  (items in red are pre-gratitude - an effort to inspire Universe-al wish fulfillment for my hopes and dreams.)



  • Angel and Tara Grace
  • my furnace
  • coffee and International Delight
  • rice chips with sesame and seaweed
  • peanut butter
  • water
  • wordzzles
  • words
  • the ability to read and write
  • Freakonomics/Netflix
  • creative imagination
  • those who think outside of boxes
  • email
  • a paid off mortgage
  • zero balance on my credit cards
  • a clothes dryer
  • winning the HGTV Vermont Dream House
  • a million dollars a year for life from PCH
  • fresh paint on my living and bedroom walls
  • a sun room off the back of the house
  • winning lottery tickets
  • a Bose sound system
  • music
  • Pandora radio
  • my computer
  • salad
  • breath
  • human courage
  • the fall of tyrants
  • blue cheese dressing
  • gogi berry juice
  • remote controls
  • my camera
  • clouds
  • HEAP
  • blankets
  • sam-e
  • my teeth
  • ibuprofen
  • the internet
  • reiki
  • angels
  • laughter
  • life



HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!

1 comment:

Argent said...

I've read the book Freakonomics and its sequel. Both are very entertaining, engaging and thought-provoking. I'm currently reading a book called A Year of Living Without Money. The author sets himself a project to do exactly that - live without ay money by bartering and working for food etc. I'm only a short way in but it's very good so far.