Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Daily Reminder # 449



Well, it's another beautiful day here. Mr. Powell from Delaware Opportunities came by and had me sign some papers. He is a casualty of the economy. They didn't get enough funding from the state to pay his salary. The contractor came shortly after and finished up all the stuff he didn't do right the first time. Also managed to let a wasp into the house but after "running" into the other room to hide for a few minutes, I screwed my courage to the sticking place and managed to ease it back into the great out doors. In Native American tradition wasps are about female power, so I think it's kind of funny that he let one in. I have been pretty unhappy about what he did to my little house which never did anything to him. I learned about the female power thing because when I first moved back east, the  apartment I lived in in Lake Huntington had a wasps nest in the kitchen ceiling. The deranged landlord (drug addict) mocked me for being afraid. I was kind of delighted to hear that after I moved out he went up there and was greeted by about 50 wasps. I'm not vengeful by nature, but it served him right. He was dangerously crazy and mean to boot. After 33 years of living in a NYC apartment with a corporate landlord, I was not prepared for the different world of upstate New York where renters have no protection at all beyond a rule that says your landlord can't let you freeze to death in winter. Beyond that, there are few leases up here and tenants live month to month. A landlord can raise your rent on a whim and kick you out on a whim for no reason other than that he/she feels like it. This makes it extra hard to get things tended to when they are broken or in need of repair. Someone I know up here lives in a trailer with her 85 year old father. He has emphysema. The trailer has leaks and now has mold (probably, from her description, black mold).  On my advice she has called the Health Department. They told her to talk to the town. The town says it's not their problem. They all say it's the landlord's responsibility, but nobody is responsible for making the landlord fulfill that responsibility. It's crazy, particularly because black mold is so toxic.  M is looking for a new place but having trouble finding one. This kind of thing makes me angry. Most people renting up here are not rich. And being forced to move over and over - besides being physically and emotionally taxing - is expensive. I really think the laws have to be changed but I don't have much hope of that happening. Meanwhile, I'm so profoundly grateful that I now have a home that is my very own (well, mine and the bank's). That's my rambling rant for today. Here are the birds from the day before yesterday and my gratitude list.
























There seems to be an epidemic of mites or mange? among
the blue jays and Brewer's black birds. I wonder if they
have the same reaction to baldness that humans do, if they
feel the loss of head feathers emotionally or just physically.






Some things I'm grateful for today: (Items in red are par-gratitude. They are supposed to inspire the Creative Forces of the Universe to help me manifest that which I desire. I am apparently doing it wrong. Or maybe I'm just impatient. Or maybe both. I do believe that when we truly believe we can create something, it is a powerful thing. I struggle with doubt and the belief that I don't really deserve what I want. I wish I could change that in myself. I'm going to keep doing my list, though.)

  • Angel and Tara Grace
  • a home of my own
  • SONYMA
  • Delaware Opportunities
  • Jeff Powell
  • beautiful weather
  • my camera
  • rechargeable batteries
  • my back yard
  • birds and critters
  • my computer
  • the internet
  • email
  • google
  • YouTube
  • SKYPE
  • AIM
  • computer games
  • my TV
  • the remote control
  • the mute button
  • fans
  • electricity
  • my Tibetan salt lamps
  • granola bars
  • coffee and International Delight
  • coconut oil
  • reiki
  • angels
  • miracles
  • healing
  • that the Delaware Opp. work is complete
  • a clothes dryer
  • blinds for the front window
  • new curtains
  • freshly painted living and bedroom walls
  • a ceiling fan in the bedroom
  • $5,000/week for life from PCH
  • winning lottery numbers
  • a truckload of money (big bills)
  • Nintendo
  • paid off mortgage
  • zero balance on my credit cards
  • a sun room on the back of the house
  • more flowers in the back yard
  • a reading and a healing from my friend Nancy
  • seeing the red list turn to black
  • my nieces, my nephew and their families
  • that they are happy and successful
  • my friends
  • my neighbors
  • Netflix
  • sight
  • taste
  • smell
  • hearing
  • touch
  • the colors of the rainbow
  • music
  • Pandora radio
  • ear phones
  • the joy of singing
  • the capacity for speech
  • creativity
  • poetry
  • words
  • ideas
  • the ability to read and write
  • the ability to type
  • the capacity for change
  • imagination
  • inspiration
  • my rock collection
  • my chair/walker
  • my cane
  • that my legs still wobble me around with help
  • determination
  • resilience
  • Advil
  • fans
  • indoor plumbing
  • my kitchen
  • my microwave
  • Sam-e
  • Omega-3
  • vitamin D-3
  • IP-6
  • the smell of white sage
  • sales
  • kitty hugs
  • purrs
  • beauty
  • the miracle of the human body
  • the miracle of life it self
  • trees
  • humor
  • laughter
  • compassion
  • love
  • life
MAY YOUR DAY BE BLESSED
WITH FRIENDS, LOVE, LAUGHTER AND BEAUTY


1 comment:

The Bug said...

This year when we didn't get our renewal lease in the mail I fretted a little bit. Did that mean that they were planning to not renew the lease? What would we do? But June 1 came & went with no word at all. We just keep paying the rent (which has stayed the same for three years). I think they're pretty happy to have us as tenants - the previous ones were apparently a mess. I know the neighbors love us :)

I'm glad you have your home, and that hopefully they're done "fixing" it for now!