Saturday, January 01, 2011

Daily Reminder # 215

Managed to get a decent shot of Tara Grace, the
world's most uncooperative poser who seldom sits
still and always poses either where her grayness
makes her invisible or where the light messes
with the camera. I like this shot.

Well, Happy New Year, everyone. 


Time seem to fly faster and faster and faster with each passing year, season, month, week, day. I know I've told this before, but centuries ago - when I was still reasonably young - I read something that makes great sense to me about why time seems to speed up the older we get.  According to this theory, it's a matter of proportion (ration? - math is not my thing), so that when you are one year old a year is 100% of your life and when you are 63 a year is 1/63rd of your life and therefore feels much shorter. Something like that.


Anyway, New Year's Eve has always been one of my least favorite occasions. Before I became a hermit type (polite word for agoraphobic), I was pretty socially inept at things like parties and things like that - unless I thre them myself and knew everybody. Then I was just nervous about whether everyone was happy and well fed. My favorite gatherings were pot lucks and sing-alongs and I was really happy if I could combine those two. Also had a group of friends who gathered fairly regularly for Trivial Pursuit. I do miss that about living in New York. Of course most of the people I did those things with are dead or have moved away so when I get nostalgic, it is a nostalgia for something that isn't there any more. Such is life. 


I rather like what my youngest niece is doing. She's a fan of swing dancing and has gotten her significant other interested too, so they are dancing the New Year in.at something called the Lindy Focus. I was going to post some video but decided that it would be easier to post the link and let anyone who wants to watch the videos themselves. My sister's children are awesome. Each unique, but they are centered and self-assured and have the strength of character to pursue the things they love. This even having lost their mother so cruelly and so young. 






Some things I'm grateful for as the old year passes: (items in red are pre-gratitude - an effort to aid the Universe in granting my wishes.)

  • Angel and Tara Grace
  • I'm still alive
  • I can still walk - sort of
  • my home
  • my furnace
  • my camera
  • my friends
  • my nieces and nephew and their families
  • my neighbors
  • my therapist
  • Democracy - even if it's really flawed
  • my country - even if we are borderline insane
  • my Bose sound system
  • my Canon Powershot with 12 megapixels & 15-20x zoom
  • my clothes dryer
  • my big Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes win
  • winning lottery tickets
  • zero balance on my credit cards
  • Jon Stewart
  • laughter
  • Pandora Radio
  • music
  • kindness
  • reiki
  • angels
  • my voice
  • water
  • food
  • food stamps
  • HEAP
  • my SSD
  • survival
  • beauty
  • magic
  • sleep
  • my mattress
  • ideas
  • telephones/television/internet
  • mail and email
  • my 5 senses (and the 6th)
  • love
  • hope
  • LIFE
  • another year and new possibilities



HAPPY NEW YEAR!

3 comments:

Felisol said...

Dear Raven,
Happy New Year to you too.
Even though I have followed you for some years now, and know about some of your daily hardships and previous traumas, I feel encouraged every time I visit your site.
The way you are counting your blessings and are embracing your life, are contageous.
I know I'm blessed and that my blessings shakk continue into the new year. So shall yours.
Your cat pictures were just wonderful, is this Angel??
She's so purrfect and proud in perfect controll, posing for you, like an Egyptian beauty.

I wish your cats well too.
They are lucky and thankful receiver of your Reiki skills.

From Felisol

Janie B said...

That Tara Grace is a real beauty, isn't she! Raven, I love your uplifting attitude. I wish you a happy and healthy 2011 with all the good things life has to offer. Bless you, my friend.

quilly said...

That is a great shot of Tara Grace!

Happy New Year, Raven!