Monday, January 17, 2011

Daily Reminder # 231


Haven't posted any poetry for a while and I have nothing much to say, so.... 


I don't think I have posted this one in a long time and it's got snow in it so it's kind of seasonal...


CURVES IN THE ROAD


Snow like white shade on naked trees
Lakeside beauty: Cold. Clear. Still.
And I sit here angry and sad
Not knowing why I am ready - but unable - to cry
Grey kitty howls my blues for me and I scold her
She is demanding my attention
Not just to her but to myself
She is smart this old grey girl
Her twenty years of life have taught her a thing or two
More than my fifty-four have taught me, I'm afraid.
So I scowl at her instead of crying
Tell her quite unkindly to "SHUT UP!"
Then go back to what I do worst and best
Feeling restless and lost and rather sorry for myself
Outside the wind blows snow off the trees
And the twenty mile an hour curve sign
Is blurred through the glass
But makes me think that maybe there's a lesson here
I'm wanting to race past these feelings that are coming up in me
These emotional sharp curves
When what I really need to do is slow down and take heed.
                                 ~ Katherine Rabenau



This one is REALLY, REALLY old - I think I was 18 or 20 when I wrote it... which is pretty clear when you read it, but it too has snow in it...


SNOW STORM


a floating
  soft
    gentle
       curtain of snow
tossing against the breath of God
  wafts about us
        the earth and me
making us one
and I could walk forever by that frozen river
waiting for the fingery trees to take me up
   hug me to their snowy chests
      and lose me to the world of men
            for even just a moment
but the curtain floats
    around
and between
     us
bringing us first together
        and then apart
'til at length
the coldness frightens my humanity
which scurries home
to some far colder warmth


    - Katherine E. Rabenau



Another old and not very good - (not sure why I'm posting it even, but...)


TIME CHANGES EVERYTHING


Time changes everything
Locks us in words, threadbare maxims
Plays sleight of hand with hope
(Now you see it, now you don't)
But never pauses the slow march
Sideways through eternity
Never stops holding out the bait
While mankind pursues the hand on the clock
Endlessly circling
Until he stops to be rewound
And set on the same foolish chase


         - Katherine E. Rabenau


and one last one because I've always liked it since it was a sort of  "found" poem. My family gave me one of those poetry magnet kits one year and this is what I came up with.  I had another one but I never got it copied to print and it has vanished from history.


Shake me awake
Invigorate and fill my life
I need to taste sacred desire's
Magic, full-flavored brew
Pour vital power, like hot liquid cream --
Steaming, calming, strong.
I drink in the fresh smell of you
Weak as mud, I give ground
Black ice breaks up
And morning is fueled
With love's delicious, potent aroma


- Katherine E. Rabenau






Some things I'm grateful for today: (items in red are pre-gratitude, an effort to encourage the Universe to hear and grant my prayers/hopes.)
  • Angel and Tara Grace
  • my new camera
  • my sweet little house
  • heat
  • HEAP
  • poetry (even mine)
  • wordzzles
  • beautiful skies
  • my computer
  • water
  • mango/peach yogurt smoothies
  • cheese
  • sam-e
  • email
  • movies/Netflix
  • my Bose sound system
  • winning the HGTV dream house in Vermont
  • zero balance on my credit cards
  • a clothes dryer
  • a million dollars a year for life from Publisher's Clearinghouse
  • winning lottery tickets
  • reiki
  • angels
  • earphones
  • electricity
  • words
  • colors
  • indoor plumbing
  • my Tibetan salt lamps
  • my rocks/crystals
  • paper towels
  • lime yogurt & cottage cheese
  • music
  • sleep
  • my wonderful mattress
  • blankets
  • human kindness
  • compassion
  • hope
  • dreams
  • laughter
  • life




May Your Day Be Made of Poetry 
(Good poetry, hopefully)