Friday, January 21, 2011

Weekly Wordzzle Challenge #139


Week 139 of the Weekly (formerly Saturday) Wordzzle Challenged has arrived. Time seems to be positively flying these days.  As of 5:30 I'm running very late and I need a nap. True confession needed. My friend Danny gave me a copy of the new Aveyond.  I become totally addicted when Aveyond's new chapters become available. I was going to install it last night and wait until today to start. Then I thought I'd just peak. Then it was 4 am.  I am not showing much more restraint today.  It's FUN and I must save our heroine and the world... Really. I have to...   So, anyway... I thought I'd post next week's words and Mr. Linky awhile just to appease my guilt and then I'll post my efforts later this evening or tomorrow.


Words for this week's challenge were: sunset, open sesame, spectacles, icicles, chanting, proposal, jade carving, earphones, growing old, parallelogram   And for the mini: athlete, trading places, launch, ownership, trample




My mega: 

Sitting in the lotus position (she could still do it!) in front of the exquisite jade carving of the Buddha that George had gotten them for their 40th wedding anniversary, Melinda thought growing old was not the fun fest she had been promised when she was 8. Not that she had a bad life. She was entering her sunset years with a nice bank account. Her late husband - the kindest, funniest, most wonderful husband a woman could have asked for - had left her quite well off. They had had a happy marriage and she missed him terribly. Ownership of Parallelogram Industries had made him rich but it had not consumed him. He had known how to live life with both joy and grace, always kind and generous to his employees, never trampling on their feelings or their rights. If it was possible to be perfect, George had been perfect. He had been an athlete who loved both watching and playing sports. But he had also been a poet. His proposal had been worthy of Shakespeare. She was pretty sure that even if she hadn't already been head over heels in love with him, she would have fallen for him in that moment. And his voice... it was deep and rich and you could hear the love vibrating in it.  When she had "launched" - that's what the PR guy had called it, though she didn't know if you really would launch a Yoga studio - but she digressed - George had come up with the name Open Sesame and had made dozens of tapes of himself chanting - she was listening to one of them now as she went through her morning ritual. It made her feel like he was still there watching over her. And with the earphones it became just the two of them together again in the stillness of her heart. Trading places from the peaceful space in front of their Buddha to the untidy chaos of her desk, she felt a tear run down her cheek as she adjusted her spectacles. Outside the window several icicles gleamed in the sun and cast a rainbow onto the wedding picture she kept on her desk. Thanks, George, darling. she whispered. I needed that.





My 10 word:  


I cannot think of a way to use the word parallelogram... or icicles either, for that matter, muttered Raven rather irritably. Growing old has seems to be taking its toll on my grey matter. I say open sesame to my imagination and there is nothing but a dreadful silence in my head. Or worse, an empty rattling to sort of prove for sure that there is nothing left up there. So Raven put on some earphones and a tape of monks chanting but still nothing. She looked at the jade carving of the bear whose fish was now missing thanks to Angel kitty. Still nothing. Old age and young kitties hadn't helped him either. The bear would outlast her, though. Her sunset years were proving to be filled with aches and pains and the spectacle of lurching from room to room with the help of a cane. It could be much worse, she reminded herself. Still, I have a proposal to make to the Universe. When I wake up in the morning, my legs will not ache and they will work like the old days. I'm open to miracles. Really, I am. And now I will go lose myself in a fantasy world for a while where I can zap monsters do magic. Reality is sometimes overrated. But it's also cool. And I have now cheated my way through the 10 word. Badly, but it's done.  Mini will have to wait until morning.




My mini:


So often we think that trading places or trading faces would make all our troubles go away. That's an illusion of course. It might have been fun to be beautiful or to be an athlete, but I would have carried the same or different problems into that world and my family would have trampled over my feeling just the same as they did when I was me. Maybe they would have trampled over different feelings, but no life is uncomplicated. If I had my way, I'd launch a campaign to have everyone on earth go into therapy where we could learn to take ownership of our own feelings and with that of our gifts and blessings. It might not solve all the problems in the world, but I think it would help a lot of people live happier lives. 


***********************

Word for next week's 10-word challenge: kissing cousins, macaroni and cheese, chasm, orange glow, bucket list, eucalyptus, charged, handy, superior, eagerly

And for the mini: ambition, charter, bug spray, business as usual, cheap


Thanks you for playing.  Newcomers can check here for some guidelines to make the game more fun. There are no rules, just some general guidelines and tricks.




1 comment:

The Bug said...

I'm so sorry - I drew a total blank on the Wordzzle's this week. But I LOVE yours! The first one could almost be part of a short story. And the second one is VERY clever :)