Friday, October 28, 2011

Weekly Wordzzle Challenge # 176


Still going with the story of Fred Johnson,  Paragon of Virtue. Here are links to the previous episodes.  If you need/want to catch up, click here for the 1st installment, 2nd installment3rd installment4th installment5th installment6th installment7th installment.8th installment9th installment10th installment11th installment12th installment13th installment14th installment, 15th installment...

Boy, oh, boy, oh boy, did I have a hard time with these words.....  Finally posting my exercises at ll:20 PM on Saturday. Yikes.



Word for this week's 10-word challenge were:  
paraphrase, curtains, genius, plus, plug, lunge, spartan, finger-tips, glasses, frank  and for the mini: badge, grain, spider web, my what big eyes you have, opera


My mega:  

After several hours of climbing, the Paragon and his companions, Bubbles and Healer McFlash, finally arrived at the crevice-like entrance of what appeared to be a small cave. "I think I just earned my eagle scout badge," the Paragon joked to an audience who alas had no clue what he was talking about. As they slipped through the narrow entrance, Fred found himself wondering how something the size of a dragon could live in a cave with such a small entrance. "I guess I'll find out soon enough," he mused.  And indeed he did. The Kingdom of Sunday was never short of surprises. As they moved past the narrow entrance, the cave opened out into a huge cavernous space, but what was almost more shocking that the size was that it was not the spartan world he was expecting. Instead there were the most amazing lacy curtains woven from floor to ceiling like giant, elegant spider webs, the floor was covered with soft, moss-like carpet, so thick that a hand could sink in, finger-tips to wrist, so thick that if you lay down on the floor it would embrace you in a warm hug. For light, the cave was lit with dozens of elegant crystal glasses that seemed to radiate light from an unknown source. And it was furnished, with frankly some of the most beautiful carved wooden tables and chairs with an exquisite grain he had never seen before. As he was trying to absorb all this opulence, a rather operatic voice spoke to his left. "My, what big eyes you have, Paragon. Those chairs are made of a wood not found on earth, though you do have several pieces in your pocket. Welcome to my home, Paragon. Make yourselves at home."  Turning to find the source of the voice, Fred was once again caught off guard. Rather than one of the gigantic creatures that peopled Earth mythology, this dragon was the size of a large cat. Her scales were a radiant purple and her wings - what he could see of them, glowed with a soft silver shimmer. She was beautiful. "Size is not everything, Paragon," she replied to his thoughts, "Frankly, being small and fast can be quite a plus in any number of situations. I can dart and lunge and disappear in ways that terrify, though I am actually, by nature a rather peaceful genius. I know it is unseemly in your culture to plug one's own worth, but we dragons have the wisdom to know it is not vanity to speak the truth. My name is Paraphrase Polidiche. Thank you for coming to see me. It is quite a blessing to be able to communicate telepathically like this. It will make our task much easier.I am not often called beautiful, by the way and a compliment is always a lovely introduction." 

My mini: 

As he tried to absorb this whole new concept of what a dragon was -from her diminutive size to her opera star voice and her knowledge of Earth fairy tales ("my what big eyes you have" could not be a coincidence) she was not at all what he had expected. Even the furniture was so un-dragon. Elegant lace (fancy spider web) curtains, plush rugs and beautifully carved wood furniture were just not what the stuff of real dragons. And as he thought all these things he blushed deep red, realizing that she could read his thoughts. It seemed there had been barely a grain of truth in all the stories he had grown up with. "Paragon," the dragon's voice spoke in his head, "dragons are a diverse species.... on earth and in the Kingdom of Sunday.... my kind are little known even here and we like to keep it that way. Our larger brothers provide our public face. They are the stuff of stories and their images emblazon badges. They are as real as I am. I regret that I have disappointed you, though. My apologies too, for intruding on your thoughts unbidden. It is most rude. I confess that it has been so long since I was able to speak to another in this way that I have gotten carried away and forgotten my manners. I will not intrude upon you unless invited and hope - as your powers grow - that you will offer me the same respect."  "Of course I will," Fred stammered... "and I'm not disappointed. I'm just confused. There's so much to absorb here... about this place and about myself.  I'm afraid I'm going to fail my mission and I thought having a dragon on my side would change the odds."  He heard rather than saw Paraphrase smile. "My beloved Paragon. Having a dragon on your side definitely improves your odds... and having ME on your side improves them a thousand fold. As I told you earlier. Size is not everything. Have faith brave Paragon. You are more than you realize and so am I."




And the 10-word:  


They spent the night in Paraphrase's lair. Her chef was a dwarf named Frank Lee Lunge and he was almost as much a genius with food as Chef Confetti. It was an excellent meal, not just because the food was so good, Fred mused, but because he felt for the first time in his life, perhaps, that he was with family. After the main course they shared glasses of a truly unusual liquor called Dragon's Heart, which only added to Fred's sense of well being. With Chef Lunge's permission, and as thanks for the fine meal, Fred produced special dessert from Confetti - Spartan Finger-tip Fudge Plugs, he called it - plus a massive bag of jelly-beans with the recipe attached as a gift for Chef Lunge, who could barely contain his delight.  Later that night, resting in a large 4-poster bed which was surrounded by iridescent curtains so soft and sheer they seemed more like an aura of love than real curtains, Fred felt more peaceful and happy than he had ever felt in his life. Like the others, Cane, Fred's faithful dog, had enjoyed a special feast made just for him, and that night - for the first time since he had become Fred's companion - he slept with another. Watching him curled up with the dragon, Fred had the distinct sense that he was not the only one with whom she experienced telepathic communication. I wish I could stay here forever, Fred thought as he drifted into a sweet sleep.  The next morning he thanked the dragon for her hospitality and said, "You have given me the gift of "home," kind dragon.If I could I would  stay wrapped in this feeling forever, but even though I can't do that, I know I will carry it with me for as long as I live. Thank you."  For her part, Paraphrase, offered him a slight bow of the head, and the words - spoken out loud - "I am here for you always. Call for me and I will come. It will be my honor and my joy, Paragon."  Fred wanted very much to hug her, but thought better of it and instead, gave a low bow and quickly turned on his heel and headed out so that the others would not see his tears.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Words for next week's 10-word challenge:  invention, vanishing, peanuts, furnace, snow, occupy, wall, street, light in the window, sage

And for the mini: brains, strike, matches, peppermint, Halloween


Thanks you for playing.  Newcomers can check here for some guidelines to make the game more fun. There are no rules, just some general guidelines and tricks.


5 comments:

Argent said...

Sorry, will try to get something posted this time.

Raven said...

Sorry... didn't mean that as arm-twisting, just being whiny.

Argent said...

Hehe, whine away! I'm sure it's cathartic. Anyhoo, mine's up now, so you have to do yours :-)

The Bug said...

I want to go visit Paraphrase too!

Argent said...

Me too! I must say the cave sounds lovely and the catering in the kingdom of Sunday is something I'd love to sample. You're really doing well with this story each week and I'm really enjoying it.